Elk Loin with Tart Cherry Sauce
Game meat pairs so well with tart cherries - a sweet and savory delight!
1 lb Highland Farm Elk or Venison Loin
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1 tbsp lard, coconut oil or shortening
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp shallots, finely chopped
2-3 thyme springs
1 cup sweet sherry
1 tsp brown mustard
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 cup fresh or frozen tart cherries, pitted and halved
1. Heat a cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Season elk or venison loin with salt and pepper.
2. Add lard to pan and swirl to coat pan. Add in steak and cook 5-6 minutes per side or until internal temperature reaches 120 degrees for medium rare. Remove steak to a plate to rest.
3. Turn heat down to medium. Add butter to pan and swirl to coat pan. Add in shallot and thyme. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until shallots are starting to soften and thyme is fragrant.
4. Add in sherry to deglaze the pan. Bring to a simmer and add in mustard and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine then add in the cherries. Simmer for 10 minutes or until sauce is reduced by half, stirring frequently. Remove pan from heat.
5. Silice steak into 1/2" slices and serve with cherry sauce on top.