Venison Guinness Stew
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 4-6 hours on high in slow cooker
A hearty stew for all seasons!
2 pounds of Highland Farm Venison Stew Meat
2 cans or bottles of Guinness Stout
6oz red wine
5-6 carrots (peeled and chopped)
3-5 large russet potatoes (peeled and cubed)
1 yellow onion (chopped)
1 lb frozen peas
7-8 garlic cloves (peeled and minced)
1/2 small can of tomato paste
1-2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbs brown sugar
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 stick butter
3-4 bay leaves
2 Tbs thyme
1 tsp cayenne pepper
salt/pepper to taste
flour to thicken
2 can of beef broth
1. Heat olive oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat. Add the Highland Farm venison stew meat and 5 cloves of minced garlic and saute. Add salt and pepper as required for flavoring. Sear the outside of the meat and set aside.
2. In the slow cooker, add the following: Guinness, red wine, beef broth, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, bay leaves, brown sugar, salt and pepper, pinch of cayenne pepper. Stir well.
3. Add the meat and garlic from frying pan to the slow cooker.
4. In the empty frying pan, add 1/4 stick butter, potatoes, peas, onion, carrots and about 3 minced garlic cloves. Over medium heat saute the vegetable mix. After about 15 minutes, the butter should absorb into the vegetables. Once it does, add to the slow cooker.
5. Cook on high for 4-6 hours (or low for 8-10 hours). Add flour as required to thicken to desired consistency.